It’s been frilly lacey doll outfit since….forever? Haha. Some people make it beautifully yet a few others in my opinion just make it without a thought. Seems like the idea is giving lace and frill etc as many as possible and it would look good.
These are just some thoughts of mine:
1. Sometimes we dont have to use lots of frill and laces. Just use it sufficiently. Too many frill lace can bias the ‘theme’ of the outfit itself. It’s like the outfit is loosing itself. Unless, it’s themeless. haha.
2. Choose the lace as well as fabric for frill. Not all kind of clothes need the same lace and frills and not all lace and frills are suitable with the every design we make. Color, frill pattern or design, and size should enhance the whole design as well as the fabric of the clothes.
3. Don’t push it. If the frill and lace just ruins the whole look, just leave it.
4. Frill, laces, and applique can save ‘our sewing’ quality, yet, don’t depend on it. Sometimes, if our sewing is bad, it will look bad unless we put frill lace or appliqué like a mummy bandage.
5. We can use some ‘unusual’ style of color of frill, lace, and applique but it will be better if we use colors that the pattern in the fabric has the same color. It needs a feeling to choose the color that looks good. Yet, sometimes, we just want to play with the colors and it may invite ‘critics’. I did that and I DON’T CARE. Some matched colors are so boring. So, try some color combination and pick the best (as well as adventurous) look. Present something new, offer a trend, rather than following common picks.
Off topic: My trends are sometimes duuuh or weird. My style is simple but sometimes, it’s not the ‘era’ to present that but I really don’t care. Really, years after that, people are starting to create that while I did that years ago. It’s a good thing if we can sew and have our own unique taste. It doesn’t have to be a heavy unique taste. Just know yourself, know your style, be comfortable with it.
Doll clothes are pretty when it comes with frill and lace (and applique) but if your style isn’t like that, don’t push it. Even so, sometimes, we want to decorate our ‘simple’ clothes. Do it but don’t go overboard. We don’t want to kill the design. Make sure that decoration will enhance our clothes not killing it. Sometimes, I saw some clothes with lots of frill and laces, and I just,”what are you trying to say with that clothes?” The story of the clothes has gone. UNLESS, you want to make that kind of clothes intentionally.
It’s just a thought from me about choosing and using frill,lace, and applique. It’s not for debated or argued. You may always choose whatever you like. I or your friends may not like it but it’s your choice in ‘frill and applique choosing’. If you’re comfortable with your picks, then go for it. My post here is just to give an idea as well as tips about using frill, lace, and applique on doll clothes and doll clothes itself.
Not all frilly and full of laces doll clothes are beautiful. Not all non frilly and laced doll clothes are boring.