Mori Kei : A New Love

Posted by ncr on Sunday Jun 17, 2018 Under Doll Clothes Sewing

I watched Honey and Clover dorama once again  last time. My eyes were then on Hagu’s outfit. It’s so adorable. The style looks so messy but very comforting. I looked in the internet and it’s mori style. I remember i have read about that mori means forest, and the outfit is about forest-style fashion, yet, I hadn’t paid attention until I watched again Honey and Clover. I also found about the guide of Mori-kei fashion (and life). After reading it, I googled the mori style clothes. I printed them, too, and put it on my sewing room wall so i could remember well the style. The style is ‘totally’ new to me (my feel). It’s not sexy. It’s not ‘cute’. The cuteness is totally different from what I have always done. After some reading and watching, I tried designing some ‘simple’ mori kei clothes and then sew it for my doll. It’s not easy, I must be very careful as using different other than guidance color will create a non mori style feel. Using wrong lace will create a different feel.

These are some work in progress pictures.

So, not yet washed, ironed, button added, etc etc. I totally hate to explain this but some people really don’t know what the WIP is and throw harsh and stupid comments.

The robe is slightly ‘stiff’ because I used lining in purpose. The green one is a linen and the lining is a thin interfacing. I want to give a different color from main fabric lining because I want the lining to be seen as well as give a feel of ‘flowing’ to the whole colours of the other outfit. From what I have watched, mori kei robes were mostly  from light fabric and very ‘flowing’. So, it may be different feel we have when see the robe here.

 

I even did a short r&d for this skirt. I locked the fibre using kind of stitch in my sewing machine. it locked very well (^_^)d. It’s not the basic zigzag stitches by the way. Try other stitches that looks like arrow or else on your machine.

I used french-seam on the fraying-skirt part. As for the dusty-pink skirt, i used serge technique for finishing.

 

 

 

This is the first mori style. I used a stretched textured fabric for the robe. It’s challenging too. I didn’t use lining.

I also made another robe but didn’t take the picture. It used cotton with lining so how the look-feel looked like the green linen robe above which was not too flowing and a bit stiff. It is a bit stiff because it’s doll size. The fabrics themselves are actually thin ones.

 

I think, i still want to do something with the blouse lace. It’s an overlapped on the front but somehow not quite seen. Not yet get a good and fixed idea until now. I might also leave it as it is.

I gathered the lace long time ago using special  sewing feet. I’m glad that the result doesn’t have too high density. If it does, the bear pattern would be seen

I sew the leaf on the skirt using sewing machine, following the ‘bone’ shape of the leaf. It’s quite challenging. The fabric was better than I thought. I thought it would be a messy sewing but not. The back/wrong side is good, too. I used burning/hot knife technique on this skirt.

I’m still influenced by my sewing style that is in-order, balance, ‘neat’ while in mori kei, it’s totally different. So, sometimes, it’s already ok but I still have that feel to fix here and there and add something while actually it might not be needed after all. Putting pictures on the wall is quite helpful to keep reminding myself on track.

I still call my ‘current’ mori kei sewing is ‘pure’ style. In the future, i might combine mori kei with my own style.

 

Comments are closed.